I ended up getting to spend a few more days in Frankfurt than I expected after my flight to Berlin was canceled. This city is amazing! So quaint and so contemporary at the same time. It’s the 5th largest city in Germany. I was honestly surprised by that, especially because Frankfurt is the major financial center of Europe–and it looks huge!
There is so much to do if you find yourself in this beautiful place. Here are a few ideas:
- Walk around the Romer, where the settlements date back to the Roman empire.
- Go for a boat ride on the Mainz River. There are ticket booths up and down the riverwalk. I did the 100 minute tour.
- Grab a beer at Frankfurt’s only craft brewery, Braustil. The beer is great! And if you’re hungry, order a pizza from the little shop next door. They’ll bring it right to your table.
- Follow the apple strudel pipes. (start watching this at 1:07:10)
- Get a load of the whole city from above at Main Tower.
- Try the traditional drink of Frankfurt at Lorsbacher Thal, apfelwein. It’s a tart cider served out of a Bembel (that’s a handmade stoneware jug). The taste can be a bit overpowering, so don’t forget to order sparkling water to mix with it.