Nags Head, North Carolina. Honestly, I’d never heard of it until a few years ago, and now I make an annual visit their with friends. I’ll tell you what I had heard of though–Roanoke Island. Remember? As kids, we all learned about the first English colony (that would eventually fail, not once, but twice) in what the British considered to be the “new world.” These two popular vacation spots are basically neighbors.
Take a look at Nags Head on a map. Interesting, huh? Zoom out a couple times and you can’t even see it anymore. This weird geographic section of the US is made up of the largest and tallest sand dunes on the east coast, Jockey’s Ridge. Scientists believe it to be the remnants of the last ice age. (funny to think a giant collection of sand could stick around for that long)
If you are headed out to Nags Head anytime soon, here’s a short list of the fun things to do:
- order a few seafood buckets from Austin Fish Company
- grab a couple of beers at Outer Banks Brewing Company
- put your physical powers to the test at First Flight Adventure Company (I have to admit, my skills weren’t that impressive, but at least I tried.)
- rent a bike and take in the sights (don’t forget to keep off the dunes!)
- don’t forget to bring a lot of friends along! the more you bring, the bigger and nicer your rental house can be!