Over the years, I’ve spent many weeks (months even) calling LA “home.” There are so many small businesses that could use our support right now. Below is a list of a few of my favorite spots in Santa Monica who offer online and pick up options. We all have to eat, why not eat well and love on your neighbors?
- Holy Guacamole: This may be the only place in all of Santa Monica to get a cheap meal. Their breakfast burritos are so insanely delicious, you can’t believe it’s under $10. Order online with them here.
- Wexler’s Deli: Looking for a proper deli? This is it. Their bagels are great. Order online here.
- Dogtown: I never visit LA without going to Dogtown at least once. Their food and coffee are tasty, and they’s plenty on the menu for vegetarians, vegans, and haters-of-wheat. Order through Doordash here.
- Shoops: This European market (and cafe, which I’m guessing is closed) has a lot to offer. They bake German breads daily, swing by for a loaf.
- Umami Burger: In the mood for an insanely good burger? You can’t go wrong with Umami Burger. Order online through Doordash here.
- Bay Cities Italian Deli and Bakery: I absolutely love this deli! Such a fun place to shop and pick up interesting ingredients. Stop by the store in person for provisions or order a sandwich online here.
- Bangkok West Thai: In the mood for Thai? This place has some good curries. Order through GrubHub here.
- Milo + Olive: Looking for insanely good pizza and fresh bread? You have to try Milo + Olive. Order online and pick up curbside here. They even offer kits to feed entire families.
- Cassia: Looking for a date-night-in? Cassia is an upscale joint serving French-Asian food, run by a husband-wife duo. Check out their interesting dishes and order online here.
- Sugarfish: This is another Santa Monica staple for me. If you’re into sushi, order the Trust Me, trust me.
- Onda: In the bottom of Proper Hotel, you’ll find this modern Mexican restaurant. Get it delivered to your door with Postmates here.
- Modern Times: You can order some of my favorite beers to your door if you live in California. Check out it out here.
- Santa Monica Beer Works: This wonderful little brewery is offering beer-to-go. Find out more on the instagram account here.
“Unchained” by Kelly Lamb, inside Proper Hotel’s lobby
vintage fan lights by Ingo Maurer, inside Proper Hotel’s lobby
dining room of Palma at Proper Hotel
hotel room inside the historic building from the 1920s
Calabra rooftop pool and bar
I finally gave Peloton a try while staying at Proper, and I love it. I just ordered one online, hoping to get some of my pent up energy out during quarantine. Fingers crossed it can still be delivered without risks to anyone.
a hotel room inside the newly constructed part of Proper
Proper by night
I went to see Anthony Jeselnik at Largo.
the most insane garlic knot from Milo + Olive
Now wonder virtually with me around the streets of Santa Monica.
Santa Monica City Hall
Remember to support your favorite local establishments when you can do so safely. Let’s support each other–not just during this weird time–but always